Table of Contents
16+ Actionable Hacks for Amazon Sellers to Boost Sales
Becoming a successful amazon seller is one of the most lucrative choices for online business enthusiasts and with over 60% of shoppers choosing amazon as their choice for order fulfillment, the FBA program by Amazon is an ocean of opportunities.
But with more than 9.5 million Amazon sellers globally and a swarm of 'amazon seller hacks' online, it's tough to get an edge into the competition and to decide what works.
Henceforth, we've compiled and categorized a series of the most powerful Amazon seller hacks to help launch your success.
Amazon Product Research Hacks
With hundreds of product suggestions swarming the internet, choosing your fit might be difficult.
That's precisely where product research tools come to your rescue.
Here are the key elements to determine an ideal product:
- Low seasonality: Choosing products that are not seasonal and can be sold around the year for consistent sales and profits
- No legal issues: Avoiding products that have trademarks or any such legal tags associated with them
- Lightweight and small products: Lightweight and small products are always more profitable as they involve less packaging, less transportation and sourcing hassles, fewer shipping charges, and thus higher profit margins.
Amazon Seller Hack #1: Use Product Research Tools
Product research tools are online tools that allow you to research successful and in-demand products to sell on Amazon.
Moreover, these tools help you to derive important insights into what customers want in a product.
Here's why investing in a product research tool is important:
- It increases efficiency and saves time as opposed to manual methods of research.
- It helps to systematize and organize research findings, thus making it easy for analysis and deductions.
- It provides qualitative and quantitative product research data taking both opinion-based and numerical statistics into account.
- It helps to eliminate assumptions and missing key steps as opposed to manual research.
- It uses research-based facts and data to curate a list to get as close as possible to customer preferences, enhancing the product's likelihood of gaining market traction.
Jungle Scout is an excellent product research tool that analyzes, organizes, researches, and curates a list of some of the most performing products in the market and caters to many businesses.
Amazon Seller Hack #2: Explore Other Marketplaces and Search Engines
B2B marketplaces are great for researching products directly from the source.
Wholesalers and manufacturers expose you to thousands of potential product ideas. It also makes sense to start where you'll source your products because if you see something you like, you know you can start selling it immediately.
One of the biggest names in the wholesaling industry today is Alibaba and Aliexpress.
Alibaba and Aliexpress are platforms that connect customers with manufacturers from Asia. They have hundreds of thousands of products that you can sell.
However, the main difference between the two is that Alibaba is intended for B2B transactions and helps businesses purchase large quantities of products directly from the manufacturers at wholesale prices. In contrast, AliExpress, on the other hand, is open to consumers and small-scale orders.
Thus, by browsing the trending product sections of these marketplaces, you can look for the most popular and trending items and find your winning products.
Amazon Seller Hack #3: Browse Pinterest and Social Curation Sites
Social curation is when people share content related to your listings on social media platforms like Pinterest, Reddit, and Instagram. As a seller, you can evaluate this data to check for the products which are currently in trend.
By keeping an eye out on the likes, comments, and thus the audience engagement associated with the niche you are eyeing, you can analyze the market depth of a specific product.
It gives you an idea about the demand for the product and its trend relevance.
For example, you want to sell water bottles. Hover over to Pinterest, search for the term 'water bottles and check out the audience engagement for the posts related to water bottles. This will give you a rough idea of the kind, color, and features of 'water bottles' people like to buy.
Amazon Seller Hack #4: Explore Niche Forums
Niche forums are social discussion pages where innovative ideas are discussed for the niche.
Niche forums are great for informing you about your product industry's latest trends, activities, and market preferences.
To use niche forums to aid your product research, tap on google and type in the niche of choice plus forums.
For instance, if someone wants to sell products related to motorcycles, they search motorcycle forums and you'd get a list of forums.
Once you click on it, you get exposed to a community posting about motorcycles, the latest in-trend motorcycle parts or the best motorcycles, reviews, the products they are interested in, etc.
You can also login into these to ask questions within your community or share information to keep your product research dynamic.
Amazon Pricing Hacks
As an Amazon seller, it’s crucial to set prices strategically.
Price is an essential factor that can give you a vertical edge in the competition. There are three divisions to pricing your product:
Floor price, average price, and price cap.
The floor price is the lowest price point; you won't make any profit below it.
The average price is the price at which most competitors list their products.
The price cap is the highest price you can set for your product.
The best approach to keeping your price competitive in the market is to set a price that is a seasoned combination of these rankings.
Good competitor research will help you find the best mid-way that works for you.
Here are a few amazon seller tricks to curate your pricing strategy:
Amazon Seller Hacks #5: Never Raise Your Prices Before a Stockout
A logical thought would be raising the prices of products just before a stockout, eyeing the high demand.
But that is a terrible decision.
Changing your price before a stockout would easily cause you to fall behind your competitors. Remember that many customers are eyeing your product even before a stockout, and those consumers could lose interest in your product because of the sudden inflation in price.
Even when you restock, you will eventually lose your sales velocity and customers to a competitor with a better price plan.
Amazon Seller Hacks #6: Reprice Using Automated Tools
Automated repricing tools use built-in algorithms to dictate strategic price changes that help you achieve your business goal.
But you'd ask: why should I not consider manual repricing?
Manual repricing works best for small-scale cottage businesses with small inventories. But when your eye is on building a multi-million dollar successful business, it is an intelligent decision to consider an automated repricing tool.
Amazon Listing Hacks
As a seller, your product listing is the storefront for your product page; the more impressive it is, the more sales opportunities you can harvest.
So it’s important to optimize the listing strategically.
There are three amazon seller tricks to optimize your Amazon product listings:
Amazon Seller Hack #7: Use Short And Concise Titles
Optimizing the product title is very important.
Moreover, it should be relevant and keyword-friendly to make your product more discoverable and rank it higher than your competition.
The Amazon discovery page has a short tab for including titles of a product which is why you need to optimize your title accordingly to ensure all the characters are visible to potential buyers.
Amazon Seller Hack #8: Utilize Customer Intent In Your Titles
Customer intent is the reason a customer searches for a specific product.
In a broader umbrella, it refers to the reason behind a searcher's query.
By including the customer intent in your title tags, you establish that your product page will deliver the most relevant result because the customer is researching the product, which results in faster conversion rates and, thus increased sales.
Let's understand this through an example:
Suppose you search for the keyword- 'garden hose.'
What are your expectations when you search for a garden hose?
It should be lightweight, flexible, anti-kink, preferably with multiple nozzle settings, and strong enough to endure high water pressure.
Now, if we take a look at the below title of the first ranking search result for this keyword, here's the curation:
This title not only includes the reason and expectations that a user has when they search for the product 'garden hose,' but it is also optimized with the right keywords encompassing the intent.
Amazon Seller Hack #9: Build Compelling Bullet Points
An average customer spends about 15 seconds on your product page. Hence, you must segregate your features into compelling bullet points to ensure a higher ranking and increase your product's purchase preference.
The first step to writing compelling bullet points is always to perform competitor research.
Search for your product keyword in Amazon's search tab, look at the no-1 listings in your niche, and evaluate the format they've used to curate their listing.
Look for the specifications, writing format, word length, keywords used, and the customer intent they have targeted in their listings.
Apart from this, here are a few amazon seller tricks to curate compelling bullet points:
- Include the customer intent in the first few bullet points of your listing.
- Unless your product is purely technical, avoid including tech-centric details in the first half of your listing. Rather dive into the benefits and why your product stands out from the rest in the lot.
- At the end of your listing, include terms like '100% money back guarantee' or '100% returns for unsatisfactory results'. Of course, Amazon has a 30-day return policy, but by making this obvious in your listing, you can harness the extra layer of customer trust to further aid in your buyer's decision.
- With the basic keywords, search up and use as many long-tail keywords as possible related to your product. You can also add semantic keywords in your listings to cover a larger umbrella of consumer search behavior.
Amazon Review Hacks
Amazon reviews are the real trade secret for success on Amazon. Reviews increase the credibility of your business and are imperative in making a buying decision for a customer.
But getting reviews on Amazon is not easy, especially when only 25 out of 1000 buyers consider penning down a review.
Take a look at the best ways to get reviews on Amazon to master the customer review section of your product page.
Amazon Seller Hack #10: Use Jungle Scout’s Review Automation feature.
Jungle Scout offers a unique, Amazon ToS-approved solution that completely automates the Seller Central review request process for Jungle Scout users.
Using the Jungle Scout’s Review Automation feature, you can:
1. Customize your review request tabs and choose the customers you want to send review requests.
2. Get an organized table view of all the pending requests and order statuses
3. Analyze your competition and validate product demand
4. Request reviews in bulk and get instant sales estimates
5. Get insights into your opportunity score and Evaluate revenue potential
Amazon Seller Hack #11: Utilize product inserts
Product inserts act as doors to your customers and are one of the best amazon seller tips to consider to increase reviews.
A product insert is a small card that is placed inside your packaging. When customers open the product, they see the insert card.
However, there are stringent laws surrounding what you can and can't include in your inserts.
Here are some things you CAN'T include in your product inserts:
- Attempting to damage your competitor's image, listings, page, etc.
- Attempting to influence customers for positive reviews. (Although you can do it creatively)
- Avoid offering free products.
- Contacting customers except for the buyer-seller messaging channel
It's best to adhere to these policies, keep your product inserts creative, and ensure you get reviews.
Amazon Sales Hacks
Needless to say, the most important aspect of your business is your sales and revenue statistics.
So here are some amazon seller tips for scaling your business and increasing your revenue:
Amazon Seller Hack #12: Get an Amazon Best Seller Badge
When you sell the most products in your category and your listing appears at the top of the product search window, you get an amazon 'best seller badge' and is one of the most lucrative ways to increase your sales.
The badge is social proof for potential customers that the product in question is the highest selling and, thus, the most reliable.
You get towering sales, and your revenue counts in at six figures!
The badge gets updated hourly, which means you have 24 chances in a day to crack this code.
So here are some of the ways you can earn an 'Amazon Bestseller badge':
1. Choose the right product category:
Amazon has a wide variety of product categories and subcategories, and Amazon's A9 algorithm works on the 'most-selling' in these categories to assign the badge.
This means that the better categorization you provide for your product the higher chances you have at ranking it.
Let's understand it through an example:
Suppose you intend to sell Bluetooth headphones.
You'll list your product's category as Electronics>Mobiles>Mobile accessories>Headphones. However, in this case, hundreds of sellers market products under the headphones category, and henceforth the ranking is very competitive.
Now let's make a small change.
Suppose you list your product's category as Electronics>Mobiles>Mobile accessories> Headphones> wireless headphones. Adding this specific category to the listing means you have funneled your way into a narrow spectrum of competition which in this case is the 'Wireless' headphones' category.
Now, your competition is with a smaller niche. Thus it should be easier to get sales and thus higher chances of getting the badge.
2. Optimize your product listings with keywords:
Apart from giving special attention to appealing images and catchy titles, it is highly crucial to optimize your product listings with the right set of keywords that your customers use to search for the products in your niche.
This is an integral part of Amazon's search engine optimization and directly affects your ranking on the platform.
When you optimize your page with the right keywords, it makes your page more discoverable and helps you to outrank your competitors. This gets you sales and you move an inch closer to getting the badge.
Also, make sure you keep your prices competitive, as discussed earlier.
3. Make full use of promotions and advertising:
One of the best ways to boost your sales is through Amazon-sponsored ads.
Amazon sponsored ads or its Pay-per-Click (PPC) advertising is a part of Amazon's internal advertising system. Through Amazon PPC, brands, agencies, and third-party sellers can target specific keywords to create advertisements for their products, which appear in Amazon's search results and competitor product listings.
Besides, influencer marketing, brand collaborations, affiliate linkages, and diverse platform ads are also great ways to show up in search results and thus boost your sales.
Amazon Seller Hack #13: Get Amazon’s Choice badge
'Amazon's Choice' is the label assigned to a product by Amazon when the algorithms deduce that the given product listing is the best match for a specific keyword.
But what is the difference between 'Amazon’s Best Seller' and the 'Amazon's Choice badge?
Getting an Amazon's Choice Badge is essentially influenced by the most products sold for a specific keyword/search term, whereas the 'Amazon's Best Sellers Badge' is determined by the most sold products in a particular product category.
Products with this badge are estimated to see more than a 50% increase in their traffic.
Moreover, it directly influences your product's conversion rates and the sale of overall units.
To become eligible for acquiring the Amazon Choice Badge, your product should be:
1. Amazon Prime eligible
2. Readily available for shipping
3. Should have high reviews volume
4. Should sport a low return rate
5. Be a popular item or a category best-seller
Note: Once the product is listed as an 'Amazon's choice,' it won't be able to use advertising space on the platform.
Amazon Seller Hack #14: Win Buy Box
With over 83% of sales made on Amazon coming through the Buy Box, it is a golden cup that directly impacts the profitability of your selling business.
Amazon buy box is a white box on the right side of the Amazon product detail page used for customers to purchase items in their cart.
But why is the Amazon Buy Box essential?
Most buyers on Amazon directly purchase products from the buy box and don't bother to navigate into other product searches.
Thus, sellers that manage to get their listings into the buy box and manage through with the buy box price directly beat the competition and end up with a much higher conversion rate than others.
So, here are the Top 6 Amazon seller tricks to win a buy box:
- Choose Amazon FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) or SFP (Seller-Fulfilled Prime), as these provide an in-brand advantage
- Maintain a high-performance matrix and a competitive price by assessing your competitors already existing in the buy box.
- Offer faster shipping timings and quicker delivery turnovers.
- Make sure to have enough inventory to meet the rapid demand that may arise.
- Keep an eye out for building positive customer feedback.
- Try to maintain a less return ratio.
Amazon Ranking Hacks
Although Amazon never gets involved in the matrices of these rankings, sellers have figured out a few hacks that can increase their rankings by judging the sales data of top-ranking products.
Here are the top 4 Amazon seller tricks to boost ranking:
Amazon Seller Hack #15: Use Amazon’s Honeymoon Period
When you launch your product and your listing goes live for the first time, Amazon gives you a 'benefit of the doubt' and provides new sellers an exceptional amount of exposure by ranking your product on the top couple of pages of listings for that specific keyword.
During this period, your listing gains traction and once that period passes, the algorithms rely more on sales data to further recommend your product.
On average, Amazon’s algorithm requires at least 30-35 days to evaluate the product's sales data and that is the honeymoon period for your listing, during which there will be the least stringent measures used by Amazon to rank your page.
This is when you must focus exclusively on scaling your scales, heavily invest in advertising funnels and pay special attention to your conversion rates.
It's a 'beginner's luck' created by Amazon.
Amazon Seller Hack #16: Custom URL Query Hack
This is one of the most workable, tried-and-tested hacks to increase your rankings and, thus, ultimately hike your sales.
But why is an Amazon URL important?
Let's understand the basics:
An Amazon URL is an information storehouse for Amazon algorithms.
By default, Amazon's A9 algorithm keeps track of the URLs customers enter to purchase that keyword.
This data is then used to decide the product's rankings based on the number of people using that URL to purchase a product in that category.
For example, let's take a look at a typical Amazon link.
Suppose we searched for a keyword
Here's the link that appears:
Let's dissect the important parts of this link:
keywords=painting+brushes is the term Amazon uses to identify which search results to show based on the keyword phrase you searched in it. In simple words, this indicates that you typed in the keyword 'painting brush.'
Now, if you want to increase the Amazon rankings of your product for that particular keyword, there could be two scenarios that you might find yourself into:
Scenario-1: You are already an existing Amazon seller and your product never appears on the top product display pages where most customers make their purchases.
Scenario-2: For example, You have newly entered the business and your brand name is BOSOBO, and the product you intend on selling is painting brushes
A. Your product is visible on the display pages for the keyword you want to rank, for example, ‘BOSOBO Painting brushes.’
B. Your product is not showing on any product display pages even though you enter your brand name along with the keyword.
Here's what to do:
- Simply hover over to Amazon and enter the keyword or product you want to increase your rankings for. Here we've used 'painting brush'.
- Now, from the results displayed, search for your product page. If you do not find your product on the initial pages, your product might be on the subsequent display pages.
- Once you find your product, click on it and copy the URL.
- Pass it through a URL shortener and now you have a custom URL query to promote your product.
For scenario-2 (A)
- Simply go to Amazon.com and type your brand name with the keyword you want to rank for. (Example BOSOBO Painting brushes)
- If you find yourself on any display pages, click on your product, and now you get your URL with your brand name. for example, your URL will look something like this:
Now remove the term ‘bosobo+’; here's the new link that we created-
Now, this is your custom URL. Simply shorten this URL and start promoting it.
For scenario 2 (B), Suppose you couldn't find your product even after entering your brand name along with the keyword; here's what to do:
- Select any product on the display page for the keyword. for example, ‘painting brushes.’ Here's the URL that appears:
- Now replace this with your product URL.
For example, for the BOSOBO brand, this is your product URL
The new link that you created looks something like this:
Ensure the link is workable, and you can find your product using this link. Now, this is your custom URL which you can promote.
How to promote your custom URL?
- Share the shortened URL with your friends and family members. If they purchase your product through this custom URL, your product will rank higher for the particular keyword.
- You can also start running influencer marketing campaigns or social media campaigns using this URL.
Thus, by directing traffic to your product page for a specific keyword, you can increase your product's relevance for that particular search term and thus propel your product's rankings.
In simple terms, every purchase made through these links indicates to Amazon that for the search term 'painting brushes,' people are purchasing from the brand BOSOBO and thus, they should be ranked higher than the others.
Similarly, you can repeat the process for other keywords you want to rank.
This is one of the most lucrative ways to increase your Amazon rankings.
Amazon Seller Hack- 17: ASIN Piggybacking
ASIN, or Amazon Standard Identification Number, is a unique identifier of 10 letters and/or numbers for a product assigned by Amazon and is one of the most powerful Amazon seller tricks you can use.
ASIN is primarily used for product identification within a catalog of billions of items.
ASIN number can be located in the product details section on your product listing page.
Using ASIN numbers, you can access information about the organic ranking, advertising ranking, and manufacturing details and get information about your competitor's product strategies.
To Perform ASIN piggybacking:
- First, find a top-ranking product from the discover page
- Assess the ASIN number of the product
- Using the number, get access to information related to the product manufacturer.
- Once you figure out the manufacturer, find the wholesale and shipping costs.
- Compare the cumulative cost with the price of winning the buy box. If it’s less, start shipping wholesale products from the same manufacturer.
Even if the cost is higher, you can still pursue the supplier and sell the product at a nominal rate. If not, repeat the process until you find your ideal fit.
Starting up an amazon business is tricky to get right and is a path laced with patience and commitment to sustain in the long run.
But if you practise the above mentioned Amazon seller tips and tricks, you stand a higher chance at outperforming your competitors and make the mint you aim for.
All you need to do is be committed, consistent, be open to ideas, research and willing to always go the extra mile.
Now here are some FAQs to bust your queries:
FAQs for Amazon Sellers
What is the most profitable way to sell on Amazon?
The best way to make money in the Amazon business in 2022 is still through private label sales using Amazon's Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) network.
Private labels are choosing a product you eye, manufacturing it in-house with a few improvements, adding your branding and logos, and selling it as your manufacturing. This is the most preferred and profitable way to sell on Amazon.
However, outsourcing your products for cheap from B2B marketplaces like Alibaba, rebranding them, and selling them on Amazon are some of the most lucrative ways to become a seller.
Why do sellers leave Amazon?
Selling on Amazon and sustaining an Amazon business aren’t all fairy tales or sudden conversations.
There are high tides and obstacles that a seller faces while selling on Amazon.
Moreover, it can take significant time to start making money from your listings.
But here are the most common reasons why sellers quit Amazon:
1. Failure to anticipate and sustain losses during selling.
2. Unrealistic expectations and subsequent fall-outs regarding returns and monetary success are considered.
3. Unwillingness to perform adequate research, and studies and gain a dynamic knowledge about selling on Amazon
4. The time-consuming nature of being a part of the Amazon FBA business.
5. Lack of the necessary capital to sustain the online business.
How much money does the average Amazon seller make?
According to a report, about 50% of sellers profit more than $1000 to $2000 per month from Amazon FBA.
However, there is always the top of the heap, and those at the top of the competition bring in more than $300,000–$3,000,000 in sales per year.
Is it hard to succeed on Amazon FBA?
From setting up your Amazon Seller account to creating your listings, managing stock, and dealing with customer inquiries, it’s hard work to say the least.
However, with enough dedication, investing time in learning trade secrets, implementing a proper product research strategy, and using the hacks to become a successful amazon seller, anyone can make a fortune out of Amazon FBA and set up a mint-making amazon business.
What is the success rate of Amazon sellers?
People are witnessing tremendous growth due to their affiliation with Amazon FBA however, selling on Amazon is not a cakewalk.
According to a report by BeProfit, Amazon's FBA success rate is around 25%, with these sellers making an average monthly profit of $1250-$6250.
And then there is a different coven of amazon sellers who cracked the code and are making millions in yearly profits from the platform.
Which is the most profitable category on Amazon?
1. Home and Essentials:
- Availability of a wide variety of related products
- Every day, in-demand and necessary products
- As opposed to electronic devices restrictions related to safety precautions imposed by Amazon
- A lower return frequency from customers and a high satisfaction ratio
- No hassles of product designing and easy customizations
2. Kitchen and Dining:
- High influencer market related to the niche
- Better advertising ratio and exposure
- High search volume
- Greater profit margin
- Easy sourcing
3. Tools and Home Improvement
- A larger shift towards the DIY trend in the market and the subsequent demand for tools related to home improvement and designing spaces.
- Significant profit margins
- Less competition on a niche basis
Other categories that you can consider are:
- Baby products
- Beauty and Personal Care
- Electronic devices (Avoid products that require plug-ins to the walls as it attracts added layers of safety laws by amazon)
- Health Products
- Patio, Lawn, and Gardening products.
Subscribe below for a weekly newsletter featuring ways how people around the globe are minting a fortune online and sporting a positive change in their life!